Tuesday, December 16, 2008
3G SERVICE LAUNCHED IN INDIA : AT LAST
With 3G, the next-gen mobile service launched in Delhi, your handset becomes an all-purpose device. Here´s what all you can do and what it offers.
Browse Internet and send, receive large emails including graphics. 3G also enables faster movie downloads.
• Make video calls and videoconference (possible on 3G to 3G calls).
• Get streaming TV on phone screen with pause, record features. MTNL´s IPTV network currently offers 4 channels, will expand to 10 channels in 10 days and 40 in 2-3 weeks.
• Remote access footage from CCTV (could also help police and in traffic management).
• Play interactive games on Net sites, access bank accounts and shop online.
• Get high-speed Web navigation, maps.
• 3G services give mobile users high-quality voice transmission and access to high-end data applications on their mobile phones.
2G vs 3G
3G represents the next step in the evolution of mobile telephony, offering markedly greater capacity and efficiency than the current 2G systems.
While 2G is focused on voice, 3G supports high-speed data of at least 144 kbps enabling broadband Internet access on the mobile, and "triple play" features like mobile TV and converged communication services.
Similarly, 3G will allow operators to enhance their capacities for voice traffic as well. Currently, key operators are facing severe 2G spectrum crunch in top 20-30 cities which is hampering their future growth. As the government has indicated that it has limited spectrum left for 2G services.
Also, while 3G is good for data services, it is also three times more efficient than current technologies in packing in subscribers.
• 2G - 10kb/sec
• 3G - 2mb/sec
Time taken to download a 3-min MP3 song
• 2G - 31 to 40 minutes
• 3G - 11 secs to 1.5 min
How much will it cost?
MTNL will release tariff plan after a month. It´s only servicing corporate clients at the moment and will rely on their feedback before commercial launch.